News & Blog
Enabling the Right to Vote
YES! - is the answer to the question of whether people in care have a right to vote.
Please click here or the the Voting Rights document image below to download.
At Manor Community we have been discussing how to facilitate and enable the people we support to vote in the general election on 8th June. A common misconception that has come up is that some people need ‘capacity assessments’ to vote. This is not the case. We are aiming to tackle this misconception by holding informal ‘election information forums’ to will help:
- Discuss their right to vote
- Consider barriers to voting and planning ways to overcome them
- Provide general information in simpler formats on voting choices
- Discuss what to expect at the ballot box
- Have coffee, tea, cakes, play games and (try) to make it fun!
Over the next few weeks we will be developing a short and simple voting information pack for the people we support.
If you think this might be helpful to you or anyone you support please let us know and we would be happy to share.